How to stake Tezos (XTZ) via the AirGap desktop wallet: a comprehensive guide
Tezos is one of the most popular and largest by capitalization blockchains, providing users with easy access to decentralized services such as staking (PoS), without giving up their privacy. Various cryptocurrency wallets support XTZ tokens and add staking functions so that their users can access them through applications and programs on their PC. In today’s guide, we will explain how to stake XTZ via the AirGap desktop wallet. Let’s get started.
How to create a wallet
AirGap is a simple and secure multicurrency wallet with the function of offline transaction signing and cryptocurrency storage. The wallet also supports staking of other popular cryptocurrencies besides Tezos: Cosmos (ATOM), Polkadot (DOT), Kusama (KSM), and others.
Download the latest version of the AirGap desktop wallet for your operating system from the wallet download page. The wallet supports Windows, Mac OS, Linux, as well as iOS and Android mobile platforms. Then follow the step-by-step guide to create a Tezos wallet.
Step 1. Run the installation wizard. The program will be installed automatically. Then open the wallet file located on your desktop. The client will offer to install a separate program — AirGap Vault for storing a backup copy of the wallet. First we need to install AirGap Vault. The app is only available on mobile platforms. Download it from the App Store or Google Play and install it.
Step 2. Launch the app and click “Generate” to create a new seed phrase.
Step 3. Add extra entropy to your secret phrase with audio, video, and touch-based format of a digital signature.
Step 4. Before generating a seed phrase, the app will warn you to follow important recommendations. Namely:
- Make sure that the seed phrase is written on paper (or other solid-state media). There are also special devices for reliable storage of seed phrases;
- You clearly follow the sequence of words;
- Make sure you write down every word correctly;
- Save the sheet with the seed phrase in a safe place, hidden from prying eyes;
- Do not take photos or screenshots of the screen while recording the seed phrase and do not save any digital copies, so as not to compromise it;
- Never upload a secret phrase to the cloud or share it with anyone.
Please note that if you try to take a screenshot of the screen while saving a seed phrase, the app will block it for security reasons and you will have to start all over again. Click “Understand” to continue.
Step 5. Write down the seed phrase shown on the screen, and then click “Next” to check that you have written it correctly. Then choose the words one by one to confirm the secret phrase.
Step 6. Add a tag for your secret phrase. You can also additionally protect it with a passcode to increase security. Create, enter, and repeat a complex password to protect your secret phrase.
Step 7. Select a Tezos coin (XTZ) from the LIST and click “Create” to continue.
Step 8. Done! You have created an additional account to improve the protection of your tokens.
Step 9. Now go back to your AirGap wallet and click “Let’s Go” to skip and continue. Your coins will be displayed on the main screen of the AirGap wallet (the “Accounts” section). To display the wallet on the home page, you need to create a new wallet. To do this, click “Add Coins”.
Step 10. A list of available coins opens. Find the line Tezos (XTZ) and click on it. If the desired token is not displayed, start typing its name in the search bar until it appears.
Step 11. Open the AirGap Vault app, select the account we created and click on it.
Step 12. This opens a section with your personal Tezos account. Click “Sync Account” to sync your AirGap desktop wallet with the AirGap Vault app.
Step 13. Since our wallet is installed on a PC, select the “Offline Device” button.
Step 14. Choose how you want to use AirGap Vault: always request, use the app and wallet on the same device, or use Vault as an offline device. Then click “Continue”.
Step 15. Scan the QR code received in AirGap Vault using your PC’s webcam.
Step 16. If the QR code was read, the wallet will ask you to confirm the action to start syncing. Click “Import” to start the process of pairing your mobile and desktop wallet. Syncing may take some time. Wait until it’s over.
Step 17. After the crypto wallet is imported, you will see your Tezos account on the main page of the AirGap Wallet client.
So far, our wallet is empty. Now it needs to be topped up so that we can stake Tezos tokens.
How to top up the wallet
Let’s top up our Tezos wallet. To do this, select it on the main page of the AirGap client, and you will be taken to the corresponding section of your Tezos account.
Now click “Receive” to get the cryptowallet address. Copy it and send it to get coins, or just scan the QR code from another app. Wait for the validators to add the transaction to a new block. This may take a few minutes. As soon as the transaction is confirmed, the coins will be displayed in your wallet.
Great, we got the coins! Now you can delegate them to a baker — a validator in the Tezos blockchain.
How to stake Tezos (XTZ)
Now let’s learn how to delegate XTZ to a baker. Select your Tezos account and click “$Delegation” and follow the step-by-step guide to stake coins.
1. Click “Change Baker” to select a baker.
2. Find the right Baker in the list or start typing their name or address. Delegate XTZ tokens to the Everstake baker. We offer low fees, tools for easy tracking of staking, and provide a stable income to our token holders, achieving 99% uptime. The new Everstake baker address:
3. On the page with the selected baker, you will see information about the fee and the frequency of rewards accruals. Everstake charges only 10,9% fee on the staker’s rewards and accrues rewards every 3 days. Click “Delegate” button to continue.
4. Now we need to sign the transaction using AirGap Vault. Click the corresponding button to continue. You can also sign a transaction using the Ledger hardware wallet.
Open the AirGap Vault app and scan the QR code to sign your transaction. After scanning, click “Sign Transaction” in the AirGap Vault app.
6. The application will open a QR code. Follow the same procedure, only this time scan the QR code in AirGap Vault using the webcam on your PC or laptop.
7. After you scan the QR codes on both devices, you can confirm the transaction by clicking “Confirm”. If everything goes well, the AirGap wallet will display the “Transaction broadcast!” message.
After you stake Tezos (XTZ), the status of your account will change to “Delegated”.
We wish you profitable staking! Delegate your tokens to Everstake — a reliable and popular baker — and enjoy a big profit!
Subscribe to our social networks so that you don’t miss important updates, and useful guides are always at hand!